Week 29
A goal of mine this year has been to engage with the opportunities to learn more about indigenous culture. There has been much more exposure and opportunities to learn this year due to both the events happening on the political front, but also in part because of the focus which CACUSS and Higher Education has on the topic. I think it's absolutely fantastic, and I want this to continue. My fear is that the focus will bring about more programming, and disappear when the focus turns to something else. I really really really hope this is a long and continuous conversation, and re-education as it should be. This week is Indigenous Education week which is why this event was offered.
Date: Wednesday November 1, 2017
Event/Activity: Asemaa (Tobacco) Teaching by Traditional Ojibwe Kokomis/Teacher Jacqui Lavalley
Capacity: Student
Found: Indigenous Education Week Event Listing
Host: The Indigenous Education Network (IEN)
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/indigenous-education-week-tobacco-teaching-by-traditional-ojibwe-kokomisteacher-jacqui-lavalley-tickets-38291030503#
Description: Join OISE's traditional Ojibwe Kokomis/Teacher Jacqui Lavalley for a tobacco teaching. This will be the first in a series of teachings about traditional Ojibwe medicines. Space is limited to 25 participants.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: Wednesday November 1, 2017
Event/Activity: Asemaa (Tobacco) Teaching by Traditional Ojibwe Kokomis/Teacher Jacqui Lavalley
Capacity: Student
Found: Indigenous Education Week Event Listing
Host: The Indigenous Education Network (IEN)
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/indigenous-education-week-tobacco-teaching-by-traditional-ojibwe-kokomisteacher-jacqui-lavalley-tickets-38291030503#
Description: Join OISE's traditional Ojibwe Kokomis/Teacher Jacqui Lavalley for a tobacco teaching. This will be the first in a series of teachings about traditional Ojibwe medicines. Space is limited to 25 participants.
Experience:
- Listened to a number of creation stories and teachings by Jacqui Lavalley before grabbing food (incredible indigenous catering)
- Learned on the fly how to do a smudging
- Shared reasons we were grateful and people we were honouring
- We were then taught how to make tobacco ties and were taught a bit about the importance of tobacco as a sacred plant
- Had the chance to just talk, and enjoy the time
- Lots of hugging
What I learned:
- The importance of stories and narratives as a way of teaching and learning - I actually found I was uncomfortable learning this way as I'm so used to the western fact-receive style; experiencing this was interesting
- Importance of being humble, respecting customs and trying your best
- Importance of community and taking the opportunity to share vulnerable information in a safe space
- Constant reminder of Canadian history and the wisdom/teachings of indigenous peoples; the importance of land and respecting the land