Week 35
So, I've seen notifications about this talking wall exhibit for a little while, and I was glad to finally have the time to stop by and read it. It's funny how things become so routine, you can walk past something every single day and not even notice it. Taking the time out to specifically look at the exhibit and observe what I literally walk past every morning on my way to the gym was nice. The display was on the first floor of Hart House down a long hallway. It was nice to see it up in the main space; I remember for a long time they were down in the basement!
Date: January 4, 2018
Event/Activity: Talking Walls Exhibit: For People of Colour Who Suffer From Mental Illness And Have Been Silenced
Capacity: Student
Found: Walking through Hart House/Hart House Website
Host: Hart House/Hancock Lecture
Link: http://harthouse.ca/events/talking-walls-2018-01-15/
Description:
In support of this year’s Hancock Lecture and along the theme of education and anti- Black racism, The Hancock Lecture Student Advisory Committee is pleased to present an exhibition focusing on Blackness and Mental Health. We support the work of Future Black Physicians at UTSC whose work we are showcasing here. The Committee encourages respectful and informative dialogue about the many causes and complexities of mental health in the Black Community. We support the ongoing work of FBP as they aspire to re-shape the mental health discours.
Experience:
What I learned:

-M
Date: January 4, 2018
Event/Activity: Talking Walls Exhibit: For People of Colour Who Suffer From Mental Illness And Have Been Silenced
Capacity: Student
Found: Walking through Hart House/Hart House Website
Host: Hart House/Hancock Lecture
Link: http://harthouse.ca/events/talking-walls-2018-01-15/
Description:
In support of this year’s Hancock Lecture and along the theme of education and anti- Black racism, The Hancock Lecture Student Advisory Committee is pleased to present an exhibition focusing on Blackness and Mental Health. We support the work of Future Black Physicians at UTSC whose work we are showcasing here. The Committee encourages respectful and informative dialogue about the many causes and complexities of mental health in the Black Community. We support the ongoing work of FBP as they aspire to re-shape the mental health discours.
Experience:
- In some ways I feel like this activity is cheating because it was just an exhibit, in other ways I feel like stopping to look at something and devoting your full attention to an exhibit is also very important
- Really enjoyed the opportunity to stop and read the text provided in the exhibit
- I also really like what Hart House has initiated, using empty wall space to serve as a platform for discourse
- The photos and quotes were quite powerful, and definitely gave me a lot to think about
What I learned:
- For me, this exhibit comes at an interesting time as I begin my Advanced Student Development class for the semester
- Our class is based on themes of intersectionality; highlighting how people with multiple social identities experience marginalization and inequality; definitely something highlighted by this exhibit
-M