Week 36

Winter social for grad students with a chance to win awesome prizes? Sign me up! I will say, this is the type of event where you go with someone you know (which is what I did).  For the first week back, everyone was quite perky, and it was a fun event to check out for a bit.  Even got an awesome swag bag (yay water bottle and agenda book!)


Date: January 10, 2018
Event/Activity:
Winter Welcome Social
Capacity:  Student
Found: Facebook/Newsletter
Host: Graduate Student Union
Link: https://www.utgsu.ca/winter-orientation/

Description: 

 Step out of the cold and into the Hart House Music Room for an evening filled with winter-themed snacks, games and a raffle draw individual prizes worth up to $60. Open to current and incoming University of Toronto graduate students across all three campuses.

Experience: 
  • Attended with a friend 
  • Massive cheese board, apple cider and crackers
  • Had games around the room; my friend and I found a couch area and chatted (one of the few couch areas; I guess the intent was to mingle but people clearly knew each other)
  • The raffle was held halfway through with some genuinely good prizes

What I learned:
  • Fun is important on the first week back 
  • Prizes are important incentives (I mean, I stuck around just for that)
  •  Cheese is good, people like cheese :) 
  • There are some events built for you to attend yourself, where there is  intentional networking; there are other events where that would be a bit more awkward. Both are okay, both are fun. 
 
-M