Week 1


I decided to start off the project participating in a "Grad Escape" - a series hosted by Student Life & the Grad Students' Union.  These activities are purely fun events which grad students and their guests can participate in.  In the past, I've facilitated two grad escapes as a staff member working at the event.  For some reason, this was my very first time participating as a student, and it was loads of fun!  I went with two of my friends and we made an evening of it, grabbing dinner before meeting up with the group.  


Date: Thursday April 13, 2017

Event/Activity: Grad Escape: 4Cats Art Studio Junction: Bunny and Chicklet Mugs

Capacity: Student $15

Found: Friend/Word of mouth

Host: Division of Student Life, Student and Campus Community Development, Grad Life

Link: https://bookit.studentlife.utoronto.ca/Receipt.aspx?id=e98d92ab-3620-4be5-8319-6747b68e2d69


Description: Hang with your peeps or special some-bunnies at our bright, cozy 4Cats studio and make one of our new Mugs of the Season! Through hand building techniques, you will make your very own mug from scratch using our amazing low-fire clay and colourful glazes. We’ll dry and fire your artwork in our kiln for you to take home approximately 14 days later. Mold your clay, shape your mug, design your character's original look, underglaze with your choice of colours and rejoice!

Experience:

  • Reconnected with Vicky and Cathlin – went out to dinner before the event
  • Arrived & was given step by step instructions from the staff member at the venue
  • Talked to people, created a chick mug!!!
  • FUNNNN

What I learned:
  • Grad students are easy to get along with – it’s much less awkward than undergrad
  • You can spend time talking about things other than papers and graduate programs; it’s much more fun that way
  • Activity provided the space to chat, and focus on things outside of school – I never ended up talking about school with the people around me
  • Meagan is a very common name – I met a Megan
  • I’m bad with clay


 Update: THEY BROKE MY HANDLE OFF.  NOT HAPPY  :'(

-M