Week 2

This time last year I attended a Shaker Pro event with Kevin which was a lecture by Jordan Peterson pre-freedom of speech kerfufle. Kev really enjoyed the lecture that year - to be honest, I thought it was a bit wacky.  Peterson is a fantastic lecturer, great presence, but he really liked to go on tangents which isn't my style - I have a super structured brain. 

Anyways, Kev and I wanted to go again, mainly as an excuse to meet up and hang out - usually we'd grab food afterwards. Well this lecture was not great...wasn't a huge fan of the speaker and I didn't really see any relevance to my own work.  Either way, part of an experience I suppose - lots of food and Hors d'oeuvres, and then Kev and I grabbed a coffee after (we were too full) and had time to finally catch up!   

Date: Tuesday April 18, 2016
Event/Activity: Shaker Pro – An Industry-Driven Seminar on Business Writing
Capacity: Student $15
Found: Friend/Word of Mouth/Shaker Pro email
Host: DUA (Alumni) – Young Alumni event
Link: http://my.alumni.utoronto.ca/s/731/index_clean.aspx?sid=731&gid=1&pgid=12091&cid=20577&ecid=20577&ciid=75211&crid=0

Description: Learn how to improve your business writing skills.  From writing clear emails to crafting winning proposals, you will obtain tools and techniques to communicate effectively and persuasively with both internal and external audiences.  Through industry relevant simulations, you will learn communication concepts and best practices that you can immediately apply in your professional context:

This event will feature:

  •  A lecture by Shiri Rosenberg, Founder of Justwriteit.ca and Lead Developer, Business Communications Program, School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto
  • A professional networking reception
  • Hors d'oeuvres and non-alcoholic beverages
  • One drink ticket 
Experience:
  • Went with Kevin
  • Wasn’t the biggest fan of this event
  • Arrived at hotel, got name tag and drink ticket and was given time to walk around and talk to people/network based on industry
  • Attended the lecture for about an hour
  • More networking/served Hors d'oeuvre
What I learned:
  • “Alumni are important to us” – even though we aren’t yet able to support the institution, they’re willing to draw us in with events until we can; real push to get involved and say positive things about the institution
  • Attending a lecture after work is really hard when the speaker is not engaging; participating will not fly if people don’t buy into what she’s saying
  • Focus on well-crafted emails; lots of tips like short opening, what the reader needs to know, what you need from the reader + when
  • Given a worksheet to work through & tips like “don’t use exclamation marker”
  • I think some of these tips are good to think about, but in the field of higher education, I don’t think it’s as formal
    • I don’t think I need three arguments every time I send an email
    • I think I need more exclamation marks than the regular industry or else people think there’s something wrong in the field of higher ed


-M