Week 19

Okay, mini story.  My friend has been trying to get me to come to swing classes with her for a while.  Last semester she convinced me to go to "street dance" class and I was terrible.  So I wasn't the most motivated to go; but I'm also trying to be a "yes" person, so I didn't say no...I legitimately had schedule conflicts as well.  At the clubs fair the other day, I was promoting a leadership conference to a bunch of groups.  The swing dance club convinced me to go to their open house which happened to be the same thing my friend was trying to get me to do. 

So I had half a lieu day today, and I went home.  BUT I committed, sooo I made the trek back downtown, and I'm glad I did!  I don't think I'll ever go back to be honest (dancing REALLY isn't my thing), but I genuinely had a lot of fun!



Date: Friday September 15, 2017
Event/Activity: Open House: U of T Swing Dance Club
Capacity:  Student/kinda staff

Found: Clubs Fair
Host: University of Toronto Swing Dance Club
Link: https://www.facebook.com/utswing/

Description: 


UT-Swing is a dance club within the University of Toronto that is dedicated to promoting Lindy Hop and other forms of swing dance. Our goal is to welcome and help beginners who are learning to swing dance! We’d like to help you gain confidence and be a part of a wonderful and supportive community of dancers of all levels. To this end we hold weekly dances throughout the semesters on Wednesdays from 7PM-10PM. During this time we hold beginner lessons from 7PM to 8PM, and social dancing from 8PM to 10PM. We’d love to see you there!

As you may have heard from our executives during Clubs Fair, UT-Swing is holding our annual Open House this Friday September 15! We’ll be kicking it off in the Hart House East Common Room with a beginner lesson at 7PM. The dancing will continue until 10PM. 


Experience: 
  •  When we first went in, there were a couple of pros dancing, and then everyone else was awkwardly sitting in a row (I was assured that the awkward sitting never happens during a usual class)
  • The instructors (especially Hannah) were AMAZING....absolutely incredible, and clearly some sort of education or children background; she really knew how to focus people's attention back 
  • There were a LOT of people, it was REALLY nice to see
  • The first hour was a beginner lesson, and the last two hours were a social dance
  • For the beginner lesson we learned basic steps and practiced with a partner; the partner rotated every five minutes or so - incredible way to meet people 
  • I *barely* learned the dance moves, and stepped all over my poor partners' feet 
  • That being said, I had a LOT of fun!

What I learned: 
  • Besides the obvious (learning a couple dance moves); there was actually quite a bit I learned
  • While obviously the focus is dance; it was a great environment/opportunity for structured socialization, permission to interact, and a shared goals/challenge that you work on together with a partner (which to me, is the recipe for an adult friendship)
  • I think this type of activity could have a huge impact on shy people who also have an interest in dancing; it was a great way to build community (and a great hook to join the club) 
  • I actually learned a lot about the structure of the club as well, which I thought was really interesting, and helpful for the stuff I do at work
  • Students are incredible; I mean....we are all adults so I shouldn't be surprised - but I'm also so impressed/inspired by the amazing events and opportunities that groups organize on their own 







-M