Week 23
So I have never been to the Hart House theatre before. In my 7 years at U of T I haven't even seen a show at Hart House. How insane is that?! I'm a huge musical theatre fanatic...and I've never been. Ever. So anyways, one of my friends was really excited that her favourite show was being performed at Hart House, and of course I wanted to check it out too! The Hart House theatre is absolutely gorgeous; and performers are actually for the most part community members (not necessarily U of T students) which (no offense U of T), means that incredible people who studied in arts schools are starring in these shows. LOVED IT.
Date: Wednesday October 4, 2017
Event/Activity: Hart House Production: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Capacity: Student/Staff
Found: Friend invited me ($15 student)
Host: Hart House Theatre
Link: http://harthouse.ca/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch/
Description: Winner of several awards and international acclaim, this musical transforms the theatre into a wild, sexually charged punk rock show. Hedwig, our East German, rock superstar goddess, leads the band and shares their story in a delightfully raunchy way. A victim of a botched sex-change operation, which has left her with just “an angry inch”, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is known for its titillating material that tells a tale of love and bittersweet regret.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: Wednesday October 4, 2017
Event/Activity: Hart House Production: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Capacity: Student/Staff
Found: Friend invited me ($15 student)
Host: Hart House Theatre
Link: http://harthouse.ca/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch/
Description: Winner of several awards and international acclaim, this musical transforms the theatre into a wild, sexually charged punk rock show. Hedwig, our East German, rock superstar goddess, leads the band and shares their story in a delightfully raunchy way. A victim of a botched sex-change operation, which has left her with just “an angry inch”, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is known for its titillating material that tells a tale of love and bittersweet regret.
Experience:
- Bought tickets about a month ago, and picked out seats facing down the aisle (perfect for short people) BUT realized as soon as I sat down that I was in the direct line of fire for performer - audience interaction (in the end I was close but did not have to interact hahah)
- Watched an AMAZING show and enjoyed every minute of it
What I learned:
- Hart House puts on some next level shows!
- It's great that they have community members involved with the production; as typically U of T students wouldn't usually specialize in performance
- The potential of performer - audience interaction is terrifying ahaha
- This production was better than the movie in my opinion (which I watched clips of when I got home)