Week 25
To be honest, I was hoping to go to an exhibition at the U of T Art Centre but it was closed. Luckily the Justina M. Barnicke Gallery was still open! The exhibit was empty at 6 p.m. on a Wednesday, and it was substantially smaller than the U of T Art Centre, but it was still really nice! It happened to be a Chinese exhibit which I thought was pretty neat.
Date: October 11, 2017
Event/Activity: Far and Near: the Distance(s) between Us
Capacity: Student/Staff/General
Found: Website/U of T bulletin
Host: Justina M. Barnicke Gallery
Link: http://artmuseum.utoronto.ca/exhibition/far-near-distances-us/
Description: Far and Near: the Distance(s) between Us brings together several generations of Canadian artists of Chinese descent, offering perspectives onto the Chinese Canadian community’s historical and cultural evolutions and developments. The works included in the exhibition investigate overlooked narratives by exploring notions of distancing and being distanced in relation to race, identity, sexuality and their intertwining with Chinese Canadian history.
The idea of distance unfolds in multiple layers: in the geographic sense, as in going through a distance from point A to point B, like the construction process of the Canadian Pacific Railway; in the cultural sense, through the mainstream’s imposition of stereotypes, as in how the Chinese Canadian community has been culturally differentiated and essentialized; and in the context of the Chinese community itself, as in who is “Us”, and the distances between different groups of ethnic Chinese.
This exhibition is produced as part of the requirements for the MVS degree in Curatorial Studies at the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, University of Toronto.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: October 11, 2017
Event/Activity: Far and Near: the Distance(s) between Us
Capacity: Student/Staff/General
Found: Website/U of T bulletin
Host: Justina M. Barnicke Gallery
Link: http://artmuseum.utoronto.ca/exhibition/far-near-distances-us/
Description: Far and Near: the Distance(s) between Us brings together several generations of Canadian artists of Chinese descent, offering perspectives onto the Chinese Canadian community’s historical and cultural evolutions and developments. The works included in the exhibition investigate overlooked narratives by exploring notions of distancing and being distanced in relation to race, identity, sexuality and their intertwining with Chinese Canadian history.
The idea of distance unfolds in multiple layers: in the geographic sense, as in going through a distance from point A to point B, like the construction process of the Canadian Pacific Railway; in the cultural sense, through the mainstream’s imposition of stereotypes, as in how the Chinese Canadian community has been culturally differentiated and essentialized; and in the context of the Chinese community itself, as in who is “Us”, and the distances between different groups of ethnic Chinese.
This exhibition is produced as part of the requirements for the MVS degree in Curatorial Studies at the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, University of Toronto.
Experience:
- It was a super rainy day and the fact I was going was incredibly random...so there was that
- I stopped by an installation in the UC quad that's been there for a little while
- The Hart House Art Gallery is WAY smaller than the UT Art Centre (which is already pretty small); it was interesting to check this place out since I've never been
- I went in on the right hand side, to a tiny area with spread out photos
- Walked into the other side which was set up like a Chinese restaurant, and I legit felt like I was about to eat dinner in Chinatown...it was incredible
What I learned:
- I don't know that I learned anything new, but it was neat to see the exhibit
- Interesting use of space and super nitty gritty detail was taken into account when they were making it
-M