Week 40

Throughout this project, I've played around with this idea of activities that "count" and "don't count."  Have I really committed to this if I'm not challenging myself? I think that sometimes I put so much pressure on challenging myself and stepping out of my comfort zone that it actually becomes more stressful than enjoyable.  Some of the activities I've done through this project have included very solitary things, like setting aside time to appreciate an exhibit.  And I think that's okay - because without this project, I would have never taken this time to appreciate the work people put into various exhibits.  So I feel I'm still achieving the goal I set out for this project.  This talking walls exhibit was one of those activities; it's a brilliant idea that Hart House has had, using the walls along the hallways as the site for a instillation. 

Date: February 7, 2018
Event/Activity: Talking Walls: Every Family Belongs
Capacity: Student

Found: Hart House Newsletter
Host: Hart House/Family Care Office
Link: http://harthouse.ca/events/talking-walls-every-family-belongs-2018-02-27/

Description:
This collection examines the intersections of family, work and the university experience. In order to help increase visibility of families at the University of Toronto, the Family Care Office (FCO) asked students, staff, and faculty to write brief stories about what family means to them, how they find time to manage their family responsibilities, and anything else they wanted to share. The Family Care Office’s exhibition is centred around the idea that although family may not always be visible, it is present everyday on campus. Every family belongs at U of T!


Experience: 
  • I really enjoyed taking the time to check out this exhibit; it was very much like "Humans of New York" but based on the lives of students at U of T 
  • Each photo had a story about a family and their experience being a student

What I learned:
  • People are incredible.  The fact people are juggling the responsibility of being a parent (in some cases a single parent), the role of being a student and everything in between...it's amazing 
  • These people have the drive an motivation to continue what they're doing; there's a lot of inspiration I draw from their stories 
  • I also reminded myself that these are real stories, but only a representation of one particular narrative; for every story that seems simple and happy, there's another story of the struggle and perseverance that's required to do this! 

-M