Week 43
My friend invited me to a Community & Connections chat which I was not previously aware of; and man am I glad I went! It was SUCH a great session and I learned so much! There's been a lot around identity exploration that I've had to do these past few years, a product of being in the Higher Education space, as well as a student in my masters program. I think racialized spaces like this one would have intimidated me in undergrad, but now as a staff member I find them comforting and uniquely empowering. I've been to one of Dr. Sonia Kang's sessions before, but this time she brought much more research into the picture!
Date: Wednesday February 28, 2018
Event/Activity: Community & Connections: Going Beyond Diversity Statements
Capacity: Staff
Found: Word of Mouth
Host: Connections & Conversations Group (racialized staff & allies at U of T)
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/going-beyond-diversity-statements-with-dr-sonia-k-kang-phd-tickets-42363696958#
Description: This workshop will explore ways in which employers and job seekers are reacting to discrimination in the labor market, and offer suggestions for increasing the diversity of U of T's workforce by making its hiring practices more equitable.
Experience:
What I learned:
Date: Wednesday February 28, 2018
Event/Activity: Community & Connections: Going Beyond Diversity Statements
Capacity: Staff
Found: Word of Mouth
Host: Connections & Conversations Group (racialized staff & allies at U of T)
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/going-beyond-diversity-statements-with-dr-sonia-k-kang-phd-tickets-42363696958#
Description: This workshop will explore ways in which employers and job seekers are reacting to discrimination in the labor market, and offer suggestions for increasing the diversity of U of T's workforce by making its hiring practices more equitable.
Experience:
- Lecture style session, but lectures are different when there is a direct tie to information which impacts you and/or impacts a process you can change!
- Besides rapidly jotting down notes during the entire session, my mind was racing with best practices that I could implement in my own work
What I learned:
- Whitened resumes are more likely to get a callback (based on name)
- Companies with diversity statements on their site are still more likely to prefer the whitened resumes
- Racialized job seekers are more likely to feel a false sense of security and include things like cultural experiences when they see a diversity statement on an employers site
HOW BAD IS THAT!?!?!
- Male vs. female candidates tend to have different use of language in their applications (more assertive versus more team/collaborative focus)
- Females applying for roles in male dominated fields are more likely to try and use assertive language in their application along with more gender neutral activities/experiences
- Employers see this negatively - they are essentially punished for not following the stereotype rules
CRAZY
-M