Month 3
Being able to plan ahead is key to this project. I need to be able to find events a week, preferably two weeks in advance to keep up. I'm not sure if this is reflective of a regular student, but it's definitely important to provide students a reasonable amount of notice.
I found this month particularly challenging to find events. Not only am I behind LOADS of weeks (CACUSS set me back), but I'm getting bored of the same type of events popping up because I'm part of the same listservs/communities. Midway through June I desperately started liking all the facebook pages in hopes more events would show up on my feed. So far nada...but again, it's summer. Here's hoping the academic year will be less challenging!
Dead links and outdated registration pages/dates are pretty annoying. More so because I've gone through the "effort" of reading the description, and I'm pumped for it...then psychhhhh it happened last March haha. I think it's then challenging, because I want to do the event when it's held, but I won't be constantly checking on the site to see when the activity is starting again...so it's frustrating. I guess this is where newsletters come into play - I rely on them to provide me the just in time information. At the same time, how do you find listservs to join? I randomly joined all the OISE ones when I got into OISE, and I've been joining other ones through actively searching...but most students don't have time for that
I also go to a site specifically looking for an "event" section, so the sites that have those are the ones I consider most usable. The summer has really been dry; I think it'll pick up come September. Near the middle of the month, I made a personal promise that if I couldn't find an event in half an hour, I wouldn't attend one for the week. In part that was because I just started a new job, and school has been hectic; but it also seems ridiculous to search for something for more than half an hour...
-M
I found this month particularly challenging to find events. Not only am I behind LOADS of weeks (CACUSS set me back), but I'm getting bored of the same type of events popping up because I'm part of the same listservs/communities. Midway through June I desperately started liking all the facebook pages in hopes more events would show up on my feed. So far nada...but again, it's summer. Here's hoping the academic year will be less challenging!
Dead links and outdated registration pages/dates are pretty annoying. More so because I've gone through the "effort" of reading the description, and I'm pumped for it...then psychhhhh it happened last March haha. I think it's then challenging, because I want to do the event when it's held, but I won't be constantly checking on the site to see when the activity is starting again...so it's frustrating. I guess this is where newsletters come into play - I rely on them to provide me the just in time information. At the same time, how do you find listservs to join? I randomly joined all the OISE ones when I got into OISE, and I've been joining other ones through actively searching...but most students don't have time for that
I also go to a site specifically looking for an "event" section, so the sites that have those are the ones I consider most usable. The summer has really been dry; I think it'll pick up come September. Near the middle of the month, I made a personal promise that if I couldn't find an event in half an hour, I wouldn't attend one for the week. In part that was because I just started a new job, and school has been hectic; but it also seems ridiculous to search for something for more than half an hour...
-M