Week 13
I've been getting a bit bored of the lecture series lately, and frankly I haven't been able to find many activities to participate in this summer. So I saw this opportunity come up through grad life, and I'm so glad I went!
Date: August 15, 2017
Event/Activity: Grad Talk: Beyond Books: Using the U of T Libraries as a Grad Student
Capacity: Student
Found: Looking through the website
Host: Grad Life
Link: https://bookit.studentlife.utoronto.ca/Receipt.aspx?id=55d88227-133e-4c54-a4b3-4167c5ffcd33
Description: With 44 libraries at the University of Toronto, it may be overwhelming to figure out where to begin conducting research. This talk will showcase library resources and services that are of particular interest to grad students, including unique collections beyond books (e.g., archives, maps, and datasets) and how librarians can support grad students with their research process. Pizza will be served. Pizza will be available.
Experience:
-M
Date: August 15, 2017
Event/Activity: Grad Talk: Beyond Books: Using the U of T Libraries as a Grad Student
Capacity: Student
Found: Looking through the website
Host: Grad Life
Link: https://bookit.studentlife.utoronto.ca/Receipt.aspx?id=55d88227-133e-4c54-a4b3-4167c5ffcd33
Description: With 44 libraries at the University of Toronto, it may be overwhelming to figure out where to begin conducting research. This talk will showcase library resources and services that are of particular interest to grad students, including unique collections beyond books (e.g., archives, maps, and datasets) and how librarians can support grad students with their research process. Pizza will be served. Pizza will be available.
Experience:
- Session at the grad room, lecture style
- pizza included!
- U of T librarian was facilitating the session and it was great
- Highlighted specific services students might not know about, rather than going through the research process (which is a session I've done in class many times)
- This session was REALLY GOOD!
- We have a lot of libraries here - I honestly need to check them out!
- We can 3D print whenever we want? Say what?
- Our rare books library has an entire floor just for U of T archives...I've got to check those out too...man!
- We are a massive library, but hilariously we don't carry audio books....we have all these movies for pleasure and research....no audio books though
- You can book a 1:1 consultation with a librarian who specializes in your field (yay for tailored services!)
- Their chat tool is cool - when you request to chat with a librarian, 90% of the time they're a U of T librarian (that's where it gets filtered), but if there's no U of T librarian available, one of the other Ontario University librarians who's involved with the consortium will answer instead! How cool is that?!
-M