Week 17
I saw this session in an OISE listserv open to OISE students. While there was literally no information provided, the concept of "leadership coaching" was interesting to me as I work with a lot of student leaders these days. The session wasn't quite what I expected, and practically speaking I'm not sure if I'll be able to use many of the strategies discussed (besides reflecting on the importance of listening); but it was certainly interesting and I'm glad I went! Everyone at the session was super nice and had a lot to share!
Date: Tuesday August 29, 2017
Event/Activity: Very Brief Introduction to Leadership Coaching
Capacity: Student
Found: LHAE Listserv
Host: Canadian Centre for Brief Coaching
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/brief-summer-intensive-coach-training-registration-33646755351
Description: The Brief Coaching program is designed for workplace and organizational professionals who wish to advance their knowledge and practice in coaching. The program achieves this professional learning need by providing a mix of Brief Coaching techniques and practice that can be applied to a variety of contexts and empowers learners to lead all phases of a coaching engagement.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: Tuesday August 29, 2017
Event/Activity: Very Brief Introduction to Leadership Coaching
Capacity: Student
Found: LHAE Listserv
Host: Canadian Centre for Brief Coaching
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/brief-summer-intensive-coach-training-registration-33646755351
Description: The Brief Coaching program is designed for workplace and organizational professionals who wish to advance their knowledge and practice in coaching. The program achieves this professional learning need by providing a mix of Brief Coaching techniques and practice that can be applied to a variety of contexts and empowers learners to lead all phases of a coaching engagement.
Experience:
- Wasn't sure what to expect in this session; found out before that this is one methodology/model of coaching which made me approach the topic with a bit more hesitation
- Room full of ladies, all of us from OISE, half were managers and the other half were new professionals/students (myself included)
- Casual talk; the person leading the talk was fantastic, super charismatic and really nice
- Went through some discussion about what leadership coaching is; what coaching is and how it's interpreted
- Went through some coaching simulation and a lot of discussion
- Usually in situations like these I'd feel really uncomfortable participating; even though it was really clear that I was lacking in experience (compared to the managers) I still felt comfortable participating; and I felt I was legitimately engaging
What I learned:
- Coaching is an entire field which developed in parallel to counselling (two different concepts)
- There's a lot I don't know - while I found the session interesting and helpful; there's a lot for me to learn about the business world
- Listening is really important; sometimes providing suggestions isn't necessary - just need someone to listen to
- Look at the big picture - the ideas around "what, so what, now what" can be used in a lot of different contexts
- Giving complements and verbalizing praise is really important in a workplace
- Coaching as something to do as personal development versus it's common use now as a performance standard (punitive)
-M
