Week 15
So - U of T has 44 libraries. I've know this for a while, and I've been meaning to try and check out all the libraries. I'm counting this as one ongoing "event" even though really it should be 20 separate excursions. But hey. Lunchtime strolls are nice I guess. Most of these I'll try to tackle this month; I've noticed I haven't been moving as much as I used to in my old job, so an excuse to get out of the office is good!
Date: Ongoing
Event/Activity: Check out all U of T libraries on campus
Capacity: Student
Link: https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/libraries
Description:
The University of Toronto Libraries system includes 44 libraries on three campuses.
Experience:
Date: Ongoing
Event/Activity: Check out all U of T libraries on campus
Capacity: Student
Link: https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/libraries
Description:
The University of Toronto Libraries system includes 44 libraries on three campuses.
Experience:
- I'll make a few comments below; but I like libraries a lot - I actually worked in the Toronto Public Library system for 2 years
- I'll try to go there to actually study, otherwise I'll just poke my head in, it's cool to see what our libraries look like!
Libraries I’ve
been to before this project:
I’ve
been to 22 of U of T’s 44 libraries! Not
bad eh?
1 Spadina Crescent
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2J5
416-978-2649
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2J5
416-978-2649
I went to Doors Open Toronto this year and saw the new Architecture
building including the library! It was
gorgeous! Pretty small, but cute and definitely a nice quiet space. It’s a bit far from the rest of campus, in
terms of the location of the architecture building, so I would assume it’d
mainly be architecture students who hang out here. I contemplated including
photos in this post…but it’s already so long, I’m not sure if that’s a good
idea.
214 College St
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2Z9
416-978-8002
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2Z9
416-978-8002
So….this doesn’t actually exist anymore.
I worked in the “Career Centre” (now the Student Success Centre) and
this library was pretty much tossed out when we started the renovations within
the last two years. They’ve moved to
online e-books….does this mean U of T doesn’t actually have 44 libraries?!?!
*Gasp*
14 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3K9
416-978-7124 (ext 245)
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3K9
416-978-7124 (ext 245)
I have
a double major and a minor for my undergrad degree – one of my majors was
criminology! I spent a fair amount of
time in the Criminology building for office hours, and to pick up my
assignments. The first time I went into
the building looking for my professor’s office, I accidentally stumbled into a
small quiet room lined with books. Well,
guess it was a library! This is another
building that’s out of the way; so I would assume it’d mainly be Crim Masters
students who use the space.
5 Bancroft Avenue, 2nd Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3024
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3024
I
forget why I had to go to this library in undergrad. Perhaps it was when I was taking biology
classes? I remember getting so lost
trying to find this space – thinking about it now; I remember a bunch of
staircases that didn’t connect, and a long hallway. It was an adventure, but I made it! It was a nice library, a bit bigger than the
other ones.
Sigmund Samuel Library Building 7 & 9 King's College Circle
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-2280
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-2280
I think everyone’s been to Gerstein in undergrad. I’ve explored their creepy basement and random
hidden meeting rooms. Back in undergrad
I generally stuck with the first floor study tables facing out to Queens
Park. It was nice to have natural light,
and it was somewhat comforting starting out into grass…for some reason.
Hart House Circle
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H3
416-978-2452
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H3
416-978-2452
This cute library is pretty small, I like Hart House in general (I gym
there every day), and the library has the same character which is always
nice. To be honest, it’s way easier to
just grab a seat in the first floor reading room rather than go up to the
library, so that’s what I usually do. Sometimes
there’s some sketchy characters around as well xD
121 St George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E8
416-978-2928
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E8
416-978-2928
I think I accidentally stumbled into this library once. I sat down for 5 minutes before I was kinda
like..meh and left. But yes, another
cute small niche library – if I remember correctly it faces out to St. George
street.
Robarts Library,1st Floor 130 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-4357
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-4357
This is just basically Robarts. We’ve all been to that first floor to
use the computers ahah.
140 St. George Street 4th & 5th floors
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G6
416-978-7060
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G6
416-978-7060
Came up here to get a book once for a friend. Cute library within the iSchool section of Robarts. It’s larger than the other small departmental
libraries, and the library was super nice!
2 Sussex Avenue, 2nd Floor (East Wing)
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J5
416-978-4497
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J5
416-978-4497
I came
here to get a book for a friend – super small library. You’d really just be there to get a book a
leave, not really much place to sit around in this library.
130 St George St, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6520
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6520
I actually came here a lot to study, I don’t know why. You can take out DVDs here and other
audiovisual materials. They also have
special machines where you can watch specific types of medium.
80 Queen's Park Crescent
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C5
416-978-3734
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C5
416-978-3734
So my minor was music, and this crummy basement library was my jam. I loved it – they had music manuscripts all
around the place. It was also the first
time I had to use the crank to get the stacks open – definitely an eye opening
experience!
20 Willcocks Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1
416-978-2493
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1
416-978-2493
Came in here once to print – I was desperate. It’s a nice library, lots of people come here
to study, and there’s a fair amount of study room.
252 Bloor Street W
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6
416-978-1850
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6
416-978-1850
Well obviously I come here all the time now to get books! It’s a second home at this point; I also used
to come here between classes during undergrad.
130 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-8450
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-8450
Ah,
Robarts. The classic. This was home during undergrad for sure. I usually went to the four floor Media
Commons (see above) or some of the higher floors where the natural light came
into the study areas.
113 St Joseph St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J4
416-926-7114
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J4
416-926-7114
I don’t think I every stayed in this library to study, but I definitely
popped by to pick up books and such. It’s
a pretty large library but it’s a little out of the way from main campus so I
didn’t really hang there often.
120 St George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5285
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5285
I’ve
been here mainly to look at the exhibits, and for doors open Toronto.
6 Hoskin Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1H8
416-978-5851
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1H8
416-978-5851
So this one I couldn’t remember off the top of my head whether I’ve
visited. But I had an image of a cute
library in the basement and I think I went when my sister was getting a tour of
the college back when she was in high school. I recall really liking the
library – I’ll have to check it out again sometime.
15 King's College Circle Laidlaw Wing, 2nd floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7
416-978-8107
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7
416-978-8107
This library is really nice – I think most
people end up going to the Junior Common Room, but it’s a great library with
lots of light and great stacks. I didn’t
study up there, I think I must have been grabbing a book, but I liked it.
71 Queen's Park Cres E, Rm 301 - Pratt Library
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4468
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4468
This is in the basement of Pratt – sometimes if I didn’t see a good spot
on the main floor I’d come here. Plus
natural light. I’ve gotten books here in a few instances as well.
71 Queen's Park Crescent East
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4470
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4470
Well, Vic was home, and home is where the heart is. I went to this library quite often during
undergrad before choir rehearsals. In
first year I stuck to the first floor, but I got tired of it and went up to the
second floor with the natural light in upper years. Love this library; it’s definitely the
quietest on campus.
75 Queen's Park Cres E, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4550
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
416-585-4550
Emmanuel
was another quiet one for studying; it was easy to get there since I was often
at Vic. Good times.
Libraries I will
not go to:
Some of the libraries are too far and/or I’m not comfortable wandering
into a high school xD
124 Edward Street, Rm 267
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1G6
416-864-8211
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1G6
416-864-8211
4925 Dufferin Street
Downsview, Ontario M3H 5T6
416-667-7712
Downsview, Ontario M3H 5T6
416-667-7712
500 University Ave, 5th floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7
416-978-5606
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7
416-978-5606
2661 Kingston Road
Toronto, Ontario M1M 1M3
416-261-7207
Toronto, Ontario M1M 1M3
416-261-7207
1265 Military Trail, Academic Resource Centre
Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4
416-287-7500
Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4
416-287-7500
371 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2R7
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2R7
This is not far, but I’m not that comfortable wandering into a high
school library
40 Oak Street
Toronto, Ontario M5A 2C6
416-644-3140 ext. 101
Toronto, Ontario M5A 2C6
416-644-3140 ext. 101
3359 Mississauga Road North
Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1C6
905-828-5236
Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1C6
905-828-5236
Downsview Campus
North York, Ontario
416-667-7733
North York, Ontario
416-667-7733
Libraries I will be checking out!
60 St George Street, Room 1306
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H8
416-978-4268
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H8
416-978-4268
105 St. George Street 5th Floor, Room 5005
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E6
416-978-3421
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E6
416-978-3421
80 St George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3587
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3587
100 St George Street, 6th floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3
416-978-5006
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3
416-978-5006
563 Spadina Ave
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2J7
416-978-8201
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2J7
416-978-8201
130 St George St, 8th floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3300
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-3300
Sandford Fleming Building, Room 2402 10 King's College Road
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6494
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6494
563 Spadina Avenue, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-0413
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-0413
111 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C7
416-408-5216
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C7
416-408-5216
Robarts Library 5th Floor, 130 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6215
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6215
7&9 King's College Circle
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6359
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-6359
59 St George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E6
416-978-6719
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E6
416-978-6719
Faculty of Law, 78 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C5
416-978-1073
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C5
416-978-1073
130 St George St, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5589
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5589
105 St. George Street Suite 9000
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E6
416-946-7032
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3E6
416-946-7032
4 Devonshire Place
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E1
416-978-2893
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E1
416-978-2893
40 St George Street, Rm 6141 Bahen Centre for Information Technology
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1
416-978-8624
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1
416-978-8624
130 St George St, Room 3008 (3rd floor)
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-0588
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-0588
60 St George St, Room 211C, Burton Tower
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A7
416-978-5188
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A7
416-978-5188
113 St Joseph Street, 4th floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J4
416-926-7146
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1J4
416-926-7146
100 Wellesley ST W
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2Z5
416-922-5474 x234
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2Z5
416-922-5474 x234
8th Floor, 130 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-946-8978
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-946-8978
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6
416-586-5595 or 416-586-5718 ext.3
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6
416-586-5595 or 416-586-5718 ext.3
120 St George Street, Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, 4th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5344
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5
416-978-5344