Week 14

I've wanted to go on a campus tour for a long time.  I had heard from people that the tours included some inaccurate information and, I was interested to see if they mentioned Student Life.  While I went in skeptical, I left super impressed - the tour guide which my group had was incredible!  He knew all the things, answered all the questions we asked him, and was genuinely so sweet. I really committed to being a student on this tour, I asked all the hard questions, I even signed up using my hotmail account! The tour of course, made no mention of Student Life, and it was clearly geared towards potential applicants (explaining what the college system is etc.) rather than being geared towards incoming students (which I think majority of the audience was).  That being said, I did learn a lot and really enjoyed the experience. 

Date: Friday August 18, 2017
Event/Activity: Campus Tour
Capacity:  Student

Found: I've wanted to go for a while
Host: Visitor's Centre
Link: http://www.future.utoronto.ca/visit
Description: General Walking Tours focus on undergraduate opportunities and experiences and are perfect for prospective students, University of Toronto applicants, newly admitted students or just about anyone who wants to learn more about life on campus. You’ll get to explore academic buildings, colleges, athletic facilities, and other spaces on campus.


Experience: 
  • I legitimately enjoyed the tour - I even got a little U of T lanyard lolll
  • Met the tour guide, second year student 
  • Took us to all the colleges and then into Hart House and Goldring (really heavy emphasis on the Colleges)
  • I grilled him a bit (I couldn't help it) and he knew all the answers; turns out he is a student leader who's in the clubhouse so obviously he knew all the things
  • He even asked me what I was studying, I said OISE grad school and he even pointed to where OISE is! 
  • In the end, I couldn't help it, I blew my cover and told him I was also a staff member, and told him how awesome he was as a tour guide!

What I learned: 
  • I legitimately didn't know some of the back alley entrances into some of the spaces on campus 
  • Learned some interesting tidbits of info; eg. Queens Park is technically owned by U of T but they sold it to the government for $1 for 999 years 
  • St. Mikes has historic houses (I also haven't really been in the St. Mikes quad much; it was nice!)
  • Student Life isn't mentioned in this tour, and I really think we need two different types of tours: one for perspective students who know nothing about the University (which is what this is), and one for students who are already accepted to the University and want to get to know the campus (which I think was a large portion of the audience on the tour at this time of the year)


-M