Week 47
Remember my first 52 in 52 event? The good 'ol grad escape? Well I couldn't stay away for long; I love grad escapes! This one I did last year, and it was definitely one of my favourites: a cooking class at the Loblaws Cooking School! My role in this entire thing was to kinda socialize with the less social people, and take attendance. Here's the thing...grad students are pretty cool and easy to chat with (so no forced socialization necessary). And food is a great way to make connections - it's really hard not to naturally bond over food. I obviously had loads of fun, and ate tons of nommy food!
Date: Wednesday March 14, 2018
Event/Activity: Grad Escapes: Cooking on a Student Budget (Loblaws)
Capacity: Student/Kinda staff?
Found: Grad Escapes Site!
Host: Grad Life
Link: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/gradlife/Pages/Grad-Escapes.aspx
Description: Come to this interactive cooking class where you will be involved in making parts of the menu! A 3 course vegetarian menu will be served as well as non-alcoholic beverages.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: Wednesday March 14, 2018
Event/Activity: Grad Escapes: Cooking on a Student Budget (Loblaws)
Capacity: Student/Kinda staff?
Found: Grad Escapes Site!
Host: Grad Life
Link: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/gradlife/Pages/Grad-Escapes.aspx
Description: Come to this interactive cooking class where you will be involved in making parts of the menu! A 3 course vegetarian menu will be served as well as non-alcoholic beverages.
Experience:
- Met up with some grad students on campus before taking the subway over to Loblaws
- Met up with everyone else there!
- Attended the cooking class: beet salad (demo), pesto pasta (which we made) and berry crumble (which we also made)
- Sat down, chatted & ate together
- Got the recipe as well as tips from the nutritionist
What I learned:
- I mean, I knew this already, but I really appreciate the opportunity to connect with grad students in different departments. It IS different from being with undergrad students...
- Food. Honestly, connecting and bonding over food is such an interesting thing - and a very North American thing
- Grad students want these opportunities to connect; everyone listed a bunch of things they wanted to participate in...this program is really important for that graduate student connection
-M