Week 49

I forget when I learned about Hart House's Farm.  It was probably when I started working at U of T.  Ever since that moment, I've always wanted to go to the Hart House Farm but I've never had the chance. Well, this year I participated in a reverse mentorship program which was SUPER cool.  A student was my mentor, and I was the mentee!  One of the meetings included doing something we've both never done; so we chose to go to a Hart House Farm event which took place from 10 - 7:30 on a Saturday (the fact we were stuck in Caledon for a full day didn't really sink in until we got there).  While the event was called "Sugaring Off" the weather wasn't actually too great for Maple Syrup, but we still had tons of fun! 

Date: Saturday March 24, 2018
Event/Activity: Hart House Farm: Sugaring Off
Capacity:  Student

Found: Mentor
Host: Hart House Farm
Link: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/sugaring-off-tickets-43769148702#

Description: 

Believe it or not, but winter is coming to an end.

As the sun warms & nature thaws, sap begins to run again in maple trees which means one thing: maple syrup.
Join us at Hart House Farm for our annual Sugaring Off, where our own maple trees are tapped to be made into delicious maple syrup. Our farm tour will take you to our maple tree forest & sugar shack, where you can learn how we boil down sap to make this tasty treat.

Please make sure you bring appropriate footwear clothing to stay warm, as well as a swimsuit & towel if you would like to go for a swim. Appropriate footwear is very important not only for the weather that day but the trails at the farm can be quite slippy!

Sugaring Off is a fun & delicious event! We hope to see you there!

Experience: 
  • Loaded onto a school bus and headed up to the farm in Caledon 
  • Farm (doesn't have animals) was a huge lot of property with some trails, ponds, a sauna, some caves, and a maple syrup shack 
  • Had lunch once we got there, then participated in a number of activities
  • Hart House Committee had driven up the day before and prepared 200 pancakes for us to eat!!
  • Organized yoga sessions, knot tying,  hiking, cooking decorating, games etc.

What I learned:
  • Importance of just relaxing and taking the chance to disconnect
  • The value of disconnecting in order to connect to other people
  • I was so impressed by the committee which put everything together - this is the level of programming which we do as staff
  • I learned (just by chatting to some of the girls) that it's been difficult to organize trips because of the change in staff members at Hart House which traditionally served as institutional knowledge - in some cases, staff changes can really impact a student group

/>

-M