Week 50

During the Hart House Farm Event, the organizers talked a lot about a Farmer's Market they were hosting that same week.  During my time at U of T I remember there used to be a farmer's market outside the Graduate Student Union; but besides that, the campus hasn't had many of these types of events.  I know there were a couple student groups that tried to hold a farmer's market this year, but they came up against a lot of barriers.  Needless to say, I was pretty excited about this one - I ran over to Hart House in between meetings to check it out xD 

Date: Tuesday March 27, 2018
Event/Activity:
Hart House Farmer's Market
Capacity:  Student
Found: Facebook
Host: Hart House Farm Committee
Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/2048904872056682/

Description: 

Hey Everyone! In partnership with the 5 Buck Lunch, the Hart House Farm Committee is hosting a Farmer's Market at Hart House on the same day! On TUESDAY MARCH 27th from 10am-2pm, our market will be in the East Common Room. The market will feature a multitude of local vendors with a variety of products available to you. We would love to see you all there!

Experience: 
  • I'm not going to lie, it wasn't quite what I expected - it was mainly tea vendors; there was one vendor selling vegetables, and someone selling chocolate
  • Things were pretty expensive which wasn't too accessible (at least in my opinion) for majority of the people who were there
  • I ended up buying a sleeping tea for my co-worker, and took some people's cards

What I learned: 
  • To be honest, I'm not sure with this one - to me, a key part of attending events and activities has been in part the expectation piece; and for this one it was completely turned around
  • Nevertheless, U of T hasn't had a farmers market in years, so it was a nice little revival! 
  • Smart to host an event at the same time as the 5 buck lunch!


-M