Week 51

 I saw this event pop up on facebook which I thought was really interesting.  Unfortunately I was only able to stay for a bit, but it was a really great event; tons of food and tons of people!  It was a packed room in a really large lecture hall.  The microphones were unfortunately a bit too quiet, but besides that, the rest of the event sounded like it went swimingly!

Date: Wednesday March 28, 2018
Event/Activity:
Home is Toronto? Making Toronto's Neighbourhoods a Home for All
Capacity:  General
Found: Facebook
Host: Centre for Community Partnerships
Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/196978817702162/

Description: 

This event will explore issues of neighbourhood gentrification, access to affordable housing, how cities change, who gets excluded when communities become less affordable and the effective and innovative ways that residents are organizing and forging change to keep Toronto’s neighbourhoods a home for all. Contrasts and comparisons will be drawn between New York City and Toronto.

Presented by: Canadian Harm Reduction Network, Centre for Community Partnerships, City Studies at UTSC, Hart House Social Justice Committee, United Way Toronto & York Region


Experience: 
  • I unfortunately was only able to go to this event for a little while because of a volleyball game (see next post)
  • Really interesting talk about the housing crisis in Toronto and the concept of gentrification in the city  
  • Heard from the panelists about their work and what brought them into their line of work

What I learned:
  • Really diverse experiences brought together around this issue which affects everyone in Toronto as well as some comments around what's happening in Vancouver
  • I specifically appreciated the Indigenous view of housing and the importance of wholeness which was emphasized through this talk 
 

-M