Month 2
Yes - I doubled up this month. I promised myself I would be okay with being flexible, even though it felt like I was breaking the rules. I"m aware that CACUSS and the CCR summit are coming up, which basically means I have two weeks out of the city. So doubling up it is!
Some notes I had this month:
I think it's getting difficult attending lectures after a full day of work. When I go to class, the stuff I'm studying is still relevant to my day to day work, and the information is conveyed in a language I speak. I can have discussions with people who understand the context and environment I come from. When guests and faculty talk about their work in an event, I am engaged and interested, but not necessarily to the degree of class. I also find faculty don't simplify enough, and sometimes if I zone out for a second, I've lost the entire content. Not sure if this is more a "me" problem or a "they" problem.
I'm definitely learning more about myself. I've always had bad memory which was challenging in undergrad, and it's definitely been reiterated during this project. I figured I wouldn't have to take notes since I'm attending these sessions for interest. But sure enough information was just flying by, and I found that to retain it I 100% needed to take notes. So I'm that person taking notes; but it's because I just want to remember the information after...I'm not THAT much of a nerd!
-M
Some notes I had this month:
- Beginning to see a theme around mental health and the environment
- OH WAIT. MAY IS MENTAL HEALTH MONTH that makes more sense
- U of T lectures which are theoretical are pretty boring – engaging lecturers have a way to make the topic applicable, even if it’s not
I think it's getting difficult attending lectures after a full day of work. When I go to class, the stuff I'm studying is still relevant to my day to day work, and the information is conveyed in a language I speak. I can have discussions with people who understand the context and environment I come from. When guests and faculty talk about their work in an event, I am engaged and interested, but not necessarily to the degree of class. I also find faculty don't simplify enough, and sometimes if I zone out for a second, I've lost the entire content. Not sure if this is more a "me" problem or a "they" problem.
I'm definitely learning more about myself. I've always had bad memory which was challenging in undergrad, and it's definitely been reiterated during this project. I figured I wouldn't have to take notes since I'm attending these sessions for interest. But sure enough information was just flying by, and I found that to retain it I 100% needed to take notes. So I'm that person taking notes; but it's because I just want to remember the information after...I'm not THAT much of a nerd!
-M