Week 5

During the last event - the environment one, there was an opportunity to go to the gallery after.  I was so exhausted after the lecture section, I figured I'd just go to the gallery on my own - so that's what I did!  I brought along a friend who did a Masters in Art History, and we went out for dinner after, making an evening of it.  A couple months ago, I went to the Monkman exhibit, and I have to say - that exhibit had an impact.  That one was definitely memorable/interesting/heartbreaking.  So for me, this one was very interesting, but in comparison; it was just making that moving impact which Monkman was able to convey. 

Look at me, trying to pretend to be all artsy and critic-y.

Date: Wednesday May 10
Event/Activity: It's All Happening So Fast: a Counter-History of the Modern Canadian Environment
Capacity: Student/Public
Found: Heard about it through the previous event but didn’t have time to go to the reception
Host: University of Toronto Art Centre
Link:  http://artmuseum.utoronto.ca/exhibition/its-all-happening-so-fast/

Description: In an age of unprecedented human impact on the planet, certain countries stand out for their privileged positions and the complexity of their relationships with regard to land. Canada’s stories follow the discovery and appropriation of vast and varied natural resources, yet today, the country’s environmental record is one of the poorest among the wealthy nations. It is a fact that suggests ambivalence and the actions of competing interests, which are most often exposed through disasters – moments of disorder, and disregard for the unexpected consequences of managing the country’s seemingly endless bounty.

Experience:

  • Went with Kathryn
  • A look at the exhibit – Canada’s role and position when it comes to the environment
  • What Canada has done in the past – the failures (some successes but mostly failures)
  • Some videos playing, mostly reading the instillation and looking at the maps and pictures

What I learned:

  • Parallels to Monkman’s exhibit – nature, resource extraction
  • Urgency in the present to consider the effects which we have on our environment
  • The way people try to push back against the government, and different forms of advocacy and protest which are highlighted
  • Canada kinda sucks when it comes to the environment, we haven’t done nearly enough to help the situation


-M