Week 4
I had actually seen this event quite a few weeks ago, so I signed up way in advance. It was sort of a neat event, meant more for community members (lots of older people there). I invited a friend who did a degree in Environmental Studies, so I think she enjoyed it. It was neat to go to an event put on by central (as in like...President's office involvement), and see how they presented themselves to the community. Still, another series of lectures - but I suppose we are at U of T after all.
Date: May 3, 2017
Event/Activity: Future Environments Art and Architecture in Action
Capacity: Student/Alumni/Public
Found: U of T Bulletin?
Host: Boundless campaign
Link: https://alumni.utoronto.ca/events-and-programs/future-environments-art-architecture-action-4
Description: Art and technology are driving architecture toward new forms. Today, computer simulation empowers architectural vision while new environmental technology alters how we live. Discover some of the most exciting ideas and practices already shaping our present and future.
Experience:
What I learned:
-M
Date: May 3, 2017
Event/Activity: Future Environments Art and Architecture in Action
Capacity: Student/Alumni/Public
Found: U of T Bulletin?
Host: Boundless campaign
Link: https://alumni.utoronto.ca/events-and-programs/future-environments-art-architecture-action-4
Description: Art and technology are driving architecture toward new forms. Today, computer simulation empowers architectural vision while new environmental technology alters how we live. Discover some of the most exciting ideas and practices already shaping our present and future.
Experience:
- Atifa came for part of this
- Lecture in con hall – a number of speakers talking about the role of technology in architecture and the environment
- Different professors from the University
- Their goal was to highlight science in different areas
What I learned:
- Sound as a quality of architecture
- Tech = designed tools for sound
- Metaphors vs. objects vs. stories
- Importance of green infrastructure (eg. green roofing/naturally constructed tech)
- Eg. central park was purposely designed to be urban environment saving
- Green roofs capture 90% of precipitation at peak storm
- Living infrastructure is critical to the function of resilience
- Material choices/site and contact matter
- The difference between U of T theoretical lectures, and industry conferences (like Brightworks) – all of the speakers were very high level and speaking way “up there”; versus Brightworks where you could actually take away something from the talk