Week 8

I have always said I would love to go to the U of T planetarium.  I've talked about it for years and just never did it.  WELL. I DID IT. There's a lot of astronomy events and it took me a while to figure out who does what, and which ones are free/which ones are shows/which ones are talks etc.  After I finally figured it out, tickets were sold out - turns out tickets sell out in a heartbeat.  I signed up for the newsletter in case I want to go again -  so far newsletters and facebook look like the most reliable sources of information. Again, made a day out of this event.  Went out for dinner and dessert with Kerstin before heading over to the show!  

Date: May 26, 2017
Event/Activity: UofT Planetarium: The Life and Death of Stars
Capacity: Student $15
Found: I’ve always wanted to go!
Host: U of T Dunlap Institute
Link:  http://www.universe.utoronto.ca/planetarium-shows/upcoming-shows/

Description: The stars in the night sky seem unchanging and eternal, and have remained the same for the history of human civilization. However, over millions and billions of years, new stars are born, live out their long lives, and eventually die in a blaze of glory. In this show, we will be exploring the lives of stars by visiting stellar nurseries, supernova remnants and much more!

Your show will be approximately 50 minutes long. All of our shows are presented live and in person by University of Toronto astronomers. Plenty of time is allocated for questions from the audience.

Experience:

  • Went with Kerstin
  • Walked into a dark room with a blown up dome (it was pretty small...if only I had gone when they had the actual real planetarium open)
  • Watched the projection on the dome as this awesome girl narrated the life and death of a star
  • Pointed out some of the basic things we could see in the night sky
  • Explained it super well, and the projections were actually pretty good

What I learned:

  • Learned all about the stars and the dramatic and boring death of a star
  • I wasn’t able to take notes – it was pitch black; so I didn’t actually retain any of the names, but I get the general gist of how it works

-M